  • Subject: RE: as400 as exchange server
  • From: "Schenck, Don" <Don.Schenck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:58:17 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: L. S. Russell [mailto:leslier@datrek.com]
Sent: March 16, 2000 9:20 AM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

<<
Yes, you are right. However, the point is not that NT is so much the
better tool but that software like Exchange server, that is to say
software of similar functionality, is not available for the 400.
And before you guys start, there is no way you can tell me that it can't
be done. If you say that then you are selling yourselves, other
developers and the AS/400 short.

It CAN be done. It hasn't been done. Why?

Perhaps because the development tools for the AS/400 aren't as easy or
cheap?

Perhaps because the object model of the Windows world is wide open, while
OS/400 has it's hidden secrets?

Example: Recently there was talk about "coloring" messages. IBM TOOK AWAY
the ability to do this (according to Al Barsa, whom I believe would know).

In the world of Windows, we programmers perform "subclassing" all the time.

<<
People who develop software on and for the AS/400 are no less
intelligent than those who develop for other platforms they just lack
the drive.

They lack the drive?

Why?

Perhaps because it's just not as much fun? I'm suggesting that to be the
case.

Check this out: I can purchase a $400 computer, a $100 monitor and pick up a
copy of Visual Basic or Delphi for, say, $300, and for under $1,000 I can
learn and experiment and WRITE OBJECT-ORIENTED CODE at home. THAT is
compelling. THAT is powerful. THAT attracts people.

<<
 This lack of focus and drive comes from years of IBM
mismarketing and under marketing the platform.

Funny ... but when IBM finally DOES "wake up and smell the coffee", we have
OTHER people who complain because they are "forcing the Web on us" and such
like.

IBM can't win according to their customers.

In the early 90's, IBM tried to push the AS/400 as the "Server Of Choice" as
a "Database Server" rather than a "File Server". That was received with a
big yawn from the masses -- the RPG III/Green Screen programmers.

I feel sorry for IBM, I really do. They have the BEST HANDS DOWN NO CONTEST
server and OS i the world if you ask me. I use and like NT and have no
problems, but NOTHING compares to OS/400 for being ROBUST and FAST.

IBM should sell REAL CHEAP (like under $2,000) servers as "loss leaders" and
then focus on recouping their investment with HIGH END SUPER SERVERS -- the
boxes that run Amazon.com and MSNBC.com, etc etc.

IBM should EMBRACE Visual Basic and make the AS/400 a VERY STRONG presence
in the marketplace. GIVE AWAY all the tools needed to use the AS/400 from a
VB point-of-view.

Embracing JAVA is smart if you ask me. Now, IBM, keep moving and embrace all
of the web technologies.

<<
 In addition to this there
is also the huge drain placed on developers when they read article after
article telling them how much better NT is than the AS/400 and what
fools they are for not latching on to the first shiny NT (with
Micro$ofts all powerful Java VM) box that passes by.

Partially because Windows programming is fun. Partially because they most
likely had NT boxes either at their college OR IN THEIR OWN DORM.

I purchased Visual Basic Professional AND IT INCLUDED Windows NT for $100 at
the Penn State Bookstore when I was attending a year ago.

<<
Now what can be done to change this? First developers must take control
of the direction of marketing and of the method of development.
Developers must pour both time, money and effort back into the AS/400.

Developers do NOT pour money INTO something; they expect to be well PAID.

And they just wanna have fun.

Peace,

-- Don