  • Subject: Re: as400 as exchange server
  • From: Jeff Crosby <jlcrosby@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:41:43 -0500

"Schenck, Don" wrote:

> Ya know, this WinNT bashing gets really old and NOT realistic.
>
> WHY is it that my client has 20 ... COUNT 'EM TWENTY ... NT boxes and during
> the past 30 months that I have been here they have not had one, NOT ONE,
> crash.
>
> Perhaps they know what they're doing???

This is not meant to start a flame war or anything, so don't take it
that way.  But there's more to it than just the fact that 20 NT boxes
are up.

Are they $1,000 boxes or $40,000 boxes?  How many people are employed
spending how many hours keeping them up?  What is/are the reason(s) for
20 boxes?  Is the only reason they stay up because each box does one and
only one task?  Could all 20 box's functions have been done on a single
AS/400?  With fewer people?

Believe it or not, I have heard of companies that have NT boxes that
don't go down regularly.  We, in fact, have 1 NT box.  It has been up
for a year and not gone down.  It's workload, however, is the lightest
of _any_ computer, PC or otherwise, that we own.  Including a couple of
DOS boxes.

The most interesting part of your post is:  Why does the fact that some
number of NT boxes stay up warrant a post?  If an AS/400 owner made such
a post, it would be met with a "So what else is new?"

--
-Jeff