  • Subject: HP4000 printer, both twinax and Ethernet card conflicts we cannot resolve
  • From: "Mark A. Manske" <mmanske@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:47:08 -0600
  • Disposition-Notification-To: "Mark A. Manske" <mmanske@minter-weisman.com>

We have an HP4000 set-up, it has an Ethernet card (ip'd out through NT 4.0),
newest firmware upgrade applied, it has a blue kit IPDS twin-ax emulation
card and gobs of memory (68Mb).

We cannot seem to find anyone that can help us resolve our issue; neither
HP, IBM, bluekit, or the Ethernet card maker "stamped HP".

This is what is happening, more frequently now that it is a network printer;
The AS/400 is printing a report, someone shoots out a PC output (any output)
to the printer, the AS/400 report gets a diagonal streak down the page, one
clump of garbled ASCII codes, or something like that, the PC output prints,
then we have to re-boot the printer, end the writer on the AS/400, vary off
the device, vary it on, start the writer, and then the AS/400 finally can
print to it; the real BIG problem is that if you do not do this, the AS/400
keeps printing reports like the printer is working, which means if they are
not saved, they are lost.

I know this works as a configuration, we cannot find any settings to tweak
on either platform and other techys from my past say, YES this works, but
they too are baffled as to why ours is not working.

Any ideas what we can look for...  We tried direct IP printing with out the
bluekit, not a workable solution (no forms change messages, and IPDS data
stream does not work properly with direct IP - we tried it)    I even tried
to capture a printer port from the AS/400 printer definition and tried to
print through that to no avail other than spool32 error.

We are on V4R4, latest PTFs, mostly Win95, some 98, our network is NT4.0
service pak 4, running Ethernet, client access is the emulation of choice,
most PC's are PII's, running netgear hardware at 10/100 base

TIA for any help or suggestions

Mark A. Manske
[mailto:mmanske@minter-weisman.com]
Sr. Project Lead