  • Subject: Re: Upgrade OS/400 from V3R6
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:27:28 -0500

   | Table 1. Supported Releases for Software Upgrades                      |
   |__________________________________ _____________________________________|
   |         Release of OS/400        |                                     |
   |________________ _________________|                                     |
   |    Currently   |                 |                                     |
   |    Installed   |                 |                                     |
   |    (Source)    |   Valid Target  |                                     |
   |     Release    |   Releases(1)   |      Should You Use this Book?      |
   |________________|_________________|_____________________________________|
   | V4R4M0         | V4R4M0          | Yes. You can use this book to       |
   |________________|_________________| replace the installed operating     |
   | V4R3M0         | V4R4M0          | system and licensed programs. Your  |
   |                | V4R3M0          | system already runs on the PowerPC  |
   _________________|_________________| architecture.                       |
   | V4R2M0         | V4R4M0          |                                     |
   |                | V4R3M0          | Note:  In order to use secondary    |
   |                | V4R2M0          |        logical partitions, the      |
   _________________|_________________|        Licensed Internal Code and   |
   | V4R1M0         | V4R4M0          |        OS/400 operating system must |
   |                | V4R3M0          |        be at V4R4M0 in the primary  |
   |                | V4R2M0          |        partition and in every       |
   |                | V4R1M0          |        secondary partition.         |
   |________________|_________________|_____________________________________|
   | V3R7M0         | V4R3M0          | No. Do not use this book. You       |
   |                | V4R2M0          | cannot upgrade directly from V3R7M0 |
   |                | V4R1M0          | to V4R4M0. You must first upgrade   |
   |                |                 | to V4R1M0 or higher.                |
   |________________|_________________|_____________________________________|
   | V3R6M0         | V4R1M0          | No. Do not use this book. You       |
   |                | V3R7M0          | cannot upgrade directly from V3R6M0 |
   |                |                 | to V4R4M0. You must first upgrade   |
   |                |                 | to V4R1M0 or higher.                |
   |________________|_________________|_____________________________________|
   | V3R2M0         | V4R4M0          | No. Do not use this book to replace |
   |                | V4R3M0          | these releases.  If you have any of |
   |                | V4R2M0          | these release levels currently      |
   |                | V4R1M0          | installed, your system must be      |
   |                | V3R7M0          | upgraded to PowerPC architecture at |
   |________________|_________________| the same time that you install      |
   | V3R1M0         | V4R3M0          | V4R4M0 software. Go to the book     |
   |                | V4R1M0          | AS/400 Road Map for Changing to     |
   |                | V3R7M0          | PowerPC Technology, SA41-5150. This |
   |                | V3R2M0          | book is part of the licensed        |
   _________________|_________________| program offering 5798-TBU, CISC to  |
   | V3R0M5         | V4R3M0          | RISC Upgrade Kit. It is possible to |
   |                | V3R7M0          | upgrade from an early CISC system   |
   |                | V3R2M0          | to a more recent CISC system.       |
   |                | V3R1M0          | However, those situations are not   |
   _________________|_________________| discussed in this book. Use the     |
   | V2R3M0         | V4R3M0          | Software Installation book for the  |
   |                | V4R2M0          | appropriate CISC release.           |
   |                | V3R2M0          |                                     |
   |                | V3R1M0          |                                     |
   |                | V3R0M5          |                                     |
   |________________|_________________|_____________________________________|
   | V3R0M7         |                 | No. Version 3 Release 0             |
   |                |                 | Modification 7 (V3R0M7) is the      |
   |                |                 | Licensed Internal Code level used   |
   |                |                 | on AS/400 9402 Model 236 Advanced   |
   |                |                 | 36 system.  The operating system is |
   |                |                 | SSP at Release 7.1. The OS/400      |
   |                |                 | cannot be directly installed on     |
   |                |                 | this system. The system must have a |
   |                |                 | hardware upgrade first. For more    |
   |                |                 | information, refer to:              |
   |                |                 |                                     |
   |                |                 | °   Advanced 36 Read This First,    |
   |                |                 |     and                             |
   |                |                 |                                     |
   |                |                 | °   Memo to IBM SSP Release 7.5     |
   |                |                 |     Users.                          |
   | Notes:                                                                 |
   | 1.  This table shows the only supported combinations for source and    |
   |     target releases. You may no longer be able to order some of the    |
   |     target releases shown in this table.                               |

From:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AWG03/1.2

billyrowe@usa.net on 02/17/2000 02:13:38 AM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet