  • Subject: RE: FW: Random
  • From: "Mark A. Manske" <mmanske@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:01:57 -0600

Sorry if this sounds like a flame, take it as tongue in cheek...  :)

Are you talking users, or programmers; users will never care what platform
they are on, just as long as they get what they want; and they should never
be programming.  You need to sell
the AS/400 to a user because it is easy for a programmer to work with, it is
stable, reliable, and can support a large number of users all at the same
time; you don't have to
re-boot, heck you don't even have to IPL until you upgrade the operation
system or apply
some PTF's; though doing it once per month is a good idea (unlike windoz,
doing it four to
six times per day is the norm with much lost productivity)

As for RPG being more obscure; hey it's a programming language, I do not
want the average
Joe on the street to be able to do my job, or else I might as well start
taking classes in
basket weaving.

Anyhow, let IBM add more op codes, someday we might find a use for them; I
just hope they
also add in some of the things that we do need now to make RPG more
appealing to the Ivy
league "snobs" that think RPG is still only good for reports, and far too

<<end of soap box>>