Hi Peter!
 We have tried setting the SEPPAGE part on the OUTQ. We didn't get any
separator pages when the target of LPR was NT (and some variants of UNIX).
When I dug into the situation I found out that:
*       In LPR SEPPAGE sets a request bit (or flag or whatever) in the
control file that goes with the spool file sent from the AS/400.
*       Recognizing (and creating) the separator page is the job of the
TARGET system (in this case NT).
*       Having the LPD (Target) actually create the separator page is an
optional part of the RFC's
All of the above came from IBM tech support and the presenters and the IBM
Technical conference in Nashville. They all agreed AS/400 is "working as
designed" and "working per the RFCs".

What my users want is the ability (on the AS/400) to FORCE a separator page
at the front of the converted print data stream. This way they can get
separator pages from printers controlled by other systems that have
meaningful AS/400 information in them at the remote site (so they can get
the output to the right person). As things stand now in NT if you turn on
separator pages EVERY print job gets one on the printer. If the NT output
queue is defined for no separator pages, the request from the AS/400 is
ignored. (BTW some UNIX systems ignore/create banner pages on a system-wide
global basis. The HP JetDirect boxes that support an internal LPD ignore
separator pages -- at least the ones I've tried to use).

What I'm advocating is an exit program (preferably compatible with the exit
API already in the AS/400 and used when you specify the separator page
program name in a device description) that would provide the text for the
separator page. Yes I recognize this means IBM would be proposing an
additional "optional" piece to an existing TCP RFC -- but it's not like IBM
hasn't participated in THAT game before!
 Best regards
George Lemen
Sr. Project Analyst
CIBER Inc
Weyerhaeuser CER Technical Support and Operations Manager
Weyerhaeuser phone: (253) 924-7975
Weyerhaeuser e-mail: george.lemen@weyerhaeuser.com
CIBER Phone (425) 451-2575 x142
CIBER E-mail: glemen@ciber.com