  • Subject: Shared accpths (Was: RGZPFM mistake on a giant file at mid-day).
  • From: "Henrik Krebs" <hkrebs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 07:20:27 -0600 (CST)

Nedenfor er resultatet af din e-mail formular.
Indsendt af hkrebs@hkrebs.dk

message: >5)    Does RGZPFM ensure that if a logical file can share the access
path
>of another logical, that it does indeed share it?
>       Even if they were built in a different sequence years ago?

RSTOBJ will do:
Save PF (No accpth) and all LF's. Delete the files. Restore LF's in
descending-number-of-key-fields order. The job log will show the accpth-sharing.

This procedure should work, and even be automate-able. It is probably too much
work, but I'm not sure how much can be removed.

Note that sharing accpths might change the order of which you read the records.
Example: PF has LF1 (Key FIELDA and FIELDB) and LF2 (Key FIELDA, FIELDB and
FIELDC). PF has multible records with the same content in FIELDA, FIELDB and
FIELDC. IBM says that the order records in LF1 (whithin one set of FIELDA and
FIELDB) are read is 'unpredictably'. In practice - with no shared accpth's -
they are read in arrival seq. But with accpth shared with LF2 the order is
determined by the content of FIELDC.

Henrik
http://hkrebs.dk
realname: Henrik Krebs