Larry You snipped to soon
The kicker is in:
"Those cute little things going from one folder to another
on your screen
However results may vary"

Win 95 97 to WIN 98 products do not always work correctly!!
under the MS strategy. Think what thrills we are in for going to a WIN2000 ensemble

Larry Bolhuis wrote:
>> >saying "Now converting from 48 bit to 64 bit"
>> >Have you ever seen that ability on ANY other platform?
>> >
>> NOW John,
>> Microsoft migrates & converts from one level to another.
>
> They DO?? Sure you can RUN Some 16 bit stuff on Windoze9x but convert it???
>Not a chance. The code in a WIntel App talks directly to the hardware in most
>cases (CPU anyway) so there is no way for them to convert it! The apps are all
>designed for the hardware of the day. 16 bit apps were written for 16 bit
>processors. Move them to 32Bit hardware and they just run in 'emulation' mode
>with virtually no benefit (besides incresed MHZ) of the new hardware. It
>requires complete redesign of most apps to utilize the bigger registers.
>
> Contrast to AS/OS/400 where the software doesn't touch the hardware, it speaks
>only to LIC. COMPLETELY Change out the hardware (such as CISC to RISC) and the
>software doesn't even get to know! The program is transmogrified to use the new
>hardware by the LIC. (hence the message above). The software has always thought
>that it was using huge registers and memory sizes (128 bit I think), the LIC has
>been lying to it and running it on 48bit hardware!
>
> - Larry
>--
>Larry Bolhuis |

Glenn Ericson,
Phoenix Consulting LLC
Ph.(718)898 9805 Fx .(718)446 1150
mailto:Glenn-Ericson@att.net
__________________________ +--- | This is the Midrange System Mailing List! | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com. | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com. | To unsubscribe from this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com. | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator: david@midrange.com +---