  • Subject: Moving libs from asp to asp
  • From: "Clarke, Bob" <clarke@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 14:03:42 -0500

Last weekend I proceeded with the task of moving libraries from user asp to
system asp and vice versa, using the method of backing up to save file and
restoring as recommended by most folks on this list.  Everything was going
well until I ran into an issue I hadn't expected.  During this process I was
renaming the source library before restoring so that after the restore I
could compare the two before deleting the source.  On one of the libraries I
received an error when trying to rename it.  I don't have the message now,
but it was basically due to the library containing certain types of objects,
among them I know was journal receivers, possibly data dictionaries.  While
I assume I could get around this by restoring the library with a different
name and then deleting the source (er, will it let me delete libraries with
these objects?), it set off some bells and whistles in my head and caused me
to ask myself ... if I can't rename a library because of objects it
contains, do I need to be concerned that my save (savlib to *savf) is not
backing everything up?  Thus I ask, other than if an object were in use by
another job or otherwise locked, is there any way that an object in a
library could be missed or not entirely saved without evidence of such an
occurrence by way of a message in my joblog?  Also, I noticed that the size
of some physical files were slightly smaller after being moved to it's new
location .. I assume that to be caused by deleted records in the source that
did not move over to the new library/asp - would I be correct in that
assumption?  Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to finish up this
project this weekend.  Thanks!

Regards,

Bob Clarke