  • Subject: Re: List volume
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:38:39 -0800

Tim,

Tim McCarthy wrote:

> Simon touched on this in a posting earlier this week: the amount of chit
> chat and irrelevant garbage that's being spouted on this list in the
> last month or so is becoming unbearable. Some of these threads just seem
> to ramble - it's like an AOL chatroom. Am I wrong or did this list used
> to be a useful reference source? And while I expect flames for this
> opinion, please keep them short :)

No Flames from this quarter.  I was just thinking this morning about
how much time it takes to wade through the list.  I hate to be a wet
blanket, but the chattiness really cuts down on the list's usefulness
(as do threads that ramble through new topics without the "subject"
changing).

I understand that there is a sense of comraderie here, but I'm afraid
the signal to noise ratio may drive away some valuable participants.

jte

P.S.
One possible solution; a Midrange-CHAT list for those who want to
discuss off-topic lists with there midrange friends.  The old NewsLink
forum had this and it helped keep the technical forums clean.
(Assuming David has the resources and inclination to host such a
forum).

--
John Earl
johnearl@powertechgroup.com