Chris, enter the FTP command on an AS/400 and ftp to "loopback" then type
"help" on the FTP command line and look up the keyword "SUnique"

SUNIQUE (Control Overwriting of Files)

    To control whether a file is overwritten when doing a PUT or MPUT
    subcommand, use the SUNIQUE subcommand as follows:

    SUnique [0 | 1]

    SUnique     You can abbreviate subcommands to the most unique series
                of characters.

    -           When no parameter is entered, SUNIQUE acts like a toggle
                switch.  The present setting is switched to the opposite
                value.

     0           Overwrite the file if it exists.  This is the default
                 setting.

                 By default, SUNIQUE is set off.  This means that if the
                 remote system already has a file with the name specified
                 by remotefile on a PUT or MPUT subcommand, the FTP
                 server on the remote system writes over the existing
                 file.

     1           Create a new file with a unique name.  Existing files
                 are not overwritten.  Instead, a new file is created on
                 the remote system and the FTP server on the remote
                 system sends the name of the created file back to the
                 user.

         Note:  If the remote system is an AS/400 system, the created
         File.Mbr names are formed by adding numbers to the end of the
         member name of the localfile specified in the PUT or MPUT
         subcommand.  Thus, if the name NEWFILE.NEWMBR already exists on
         the remote system, the remote AS/400 system creates
         NEWFILE.NEWMBR1 and writes the data to it.

         If the name already exists, a new file is created with a name
         consisting of the specified file name and a number suffix.  If
         the name xfsname already exists on the remote system, the remote
         AS/400 system creates xfsname1.

     See > Unique Server Requirements for related information.

Booth Martin
boothm@earth.goddard.edu
http://www.spy.net/~booth

Chris.Chambers@v2music.com