  • Subject: Re: System 34
  • From: jcbradley@xxxxxxxxxxx (John C. Bradley)
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 19:58:40 -0500 (EST)

>snip----
>
>For the younger folks on the list, the S/34 was introduced just after
>electricity became available.....

When our S/34 was delivered 3/5/80, we thought it was pretty high tech.
It had 128K RAM and 128 MB disk (two 8" piccolo drives with 64 MB each)
and the traces on the PC boards were thinner than anything I'd seen up to
that point (the year before I had moved from electronic design to starting
up our DP department).  People gathered in wonder to gaze at the 600 LPM
3262 printer do its thing.  The S/34 replaced a Sycor 440 which was based
on an Intel 8085 8-bit processor which used a 64K memory space.  The Sycor
implemented a memory bank switching approach to have 4 X 64K memory and
it also had a 14" 2.5 MB disk which I upgraded to 5 MB.  The Sycor was
programmed in COBOL and was supposed to support 8 users, but we found that
throughput died when we added the 5th terminal.

On the S/34 we used RPG and COBOL, ran MAPICS-I and uploaded data over
a leased line at 2400 bps to a mainframe.  That 2400 bps figure was pretty
hot stuff at the time.  People were doing their email using portable TI
thermal typewriters with acoustic couplers at 110 or 300 bps.

Around 1970 I had programmed a PACE vacuum tube analog computer
while in school . . . it used a +/- 100 voltage swing to represent numbers
to an accuracy of a percent or so plus motorized potentionmeters as
multipliers.
I was the only one in my class to learn the Pace and I did so because every one
else was lined up in front of the two transistorized analog computers that
the school had.  They only used a +/- 15 volt swing and were "safer".  The kids
were scared of the PACE.

My first digital computer experience was a Fortran IV level F class in
Spring 1965
at the University of Kansas.  We punched cards which were then batched through
"something," I guess an IBM 1401 that some of the other list members have
mentioned.
One day the instructor came in and said "Don't EVER use this command in your
card deck again!" and chalked in letters about 18" high on the board "$IBSTOP."
Apparently it did everything but turn the lights out.  Must not have been much
of an operating system.

We used the S/34 for 3 years before going to a System/38.  The S/34 was very
reliable.