Robert,

From a performance perspective, I don't think it matters much whether you use
an additional subsystem or use the existing one - provided you don't set up a
private memory pool for the subsystem..  If it makes it easier for you or your
operation's staff to have these jobs separated, then go for it (IMHO).

If your jobs are bombing out once they hit the job queue, it may be that you do
not have a valid routing entry in your subsystem.  For batch work, there is
usually an entry that looks for a Comparison Value of "QCMDB" and then routes
the job to the appropriate pool for processing.  However, even if you have the
"QCMDB" entry, it is possible that Routing Data on your submit job is not using
"QCMDB".   Check to see how you are submitting the job and be sure you have a
valid routing entry.

If all else fails, you can set up a Routing Entry with a Comparison Value of
*ANY, but by doing this, you are allowing jobs of all type to be processed in
this subsystem.

The routing entry specifies which pool to process the job, so you will need to
be sure you have pool associated with the subsystem description.  It will also
point to a Class, so be sure that the specified Class exists.

If this is all setup correctly, you can check the job log for the subsystem.
There should be some indication as to why the jobs are bombing out.  Also, look
in QHST for additional help.

If all else fails, do a CRTDUPOBJ on the QBATCH subsystem and copy it to a new
batch subsystem.

Todd Kidwell (Netstar)
AS/400 System Administrator

>>> "Robert E. Burger" <rburger@home.net> 01/07/00 12:20AM >>>
I would like to create (or get feedback about why I shouldn't create) a
"secondary" batch subsystem for a few simple jobs that run all of the time but
are in a DLYJOB state most of the time.  Is this a bad idea?  What steps are
necessary to set this up.  I tried to follow an example from the Work
Management guide but jobs submitted to the JOBQ for the new subsystem fail as
soon as thy hit the subsystem.

Thanks in advance,

Robert E. Burger
Information Systems Coordinator