  • Subject: Re: LIMITING Programmer ACCES TO LIVE DATA
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 03:20:30 EST

Larry,

In a message dated 1/6/00 12:28:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, lbolhui@ibm.net
writes:

<<snip>>
> > A new person, contractor or
>  > not, is even more likely than other folks to make errors that can delete
>  > production programs or files.
>
>    Here I must disagree.  A new programmer or contractor is going to be
much
> more
>  careful than the long time programmer who is 'Sure' that he is in the
correct
>  library.

Here _I_ must disagree.  I constantly fight the "contractor image" where
people come in with QGOD authority and toast production objects. I'm careful
myself, but have found that _MOST_ new people of either ilk are trying to
show off their skills early and end up making a serious mistake.
Congratulations on your atypical experience.

>    Where I have had influence in setting up programmer environments I have
> always
>  used Two user profiles.  One authorized for programming and to READ
> production
>  data, and the other authorized to update production data.  There is a great
>  feeling of relief when you get 'not authorized' to DELETE FROM SOMETABLE
> WHERE
>  SOMFLD='X' because you just realized your library list was not what you
> thought it was!!

Again, atypical.  Have you any idea how many places I've worked that asked me
to modify a program under a restricted profile that I could not, because
someone in-house had forgotten that they were signed on as QSECOFR when they
last compiled it?  What if that person had performed your SQL update under
QSECOFR?  Better to have a central point of control (particularly a version
control system like TurnOver, Implementer, or Aldon) than count on people to
sign on under the proper password, IMHO.

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"The greatest joy in life is doing what others say you cannot do." -- Walter
Bagehot