  • Subject: Re: Hey Folks ! New Year's Eve/Day Rollover Feedback ?? !!
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 01:43:52 EST

Terry, Ronald, and James,

email@james-w-kilgore.com writes:

> My company has been posed similar questions of "need".
>
>  So we are now in a position (and cost) of showing to the client that
>  applications that they deemed "critical" to their operation, written in
>  1986 (for the S/36/38, thousands of them), actually required a change!
>
>  Go figure!?
>
>  They're headed down the road to hell and we do our job which means that
>  nothing happened.  And they have the canolies to ask, since nothing
>  happened, what they paid for!?
>
>  How about -NOT- slamming your forehead against a brick wall?
>
>  The bottom line is, that the investment made, was to insure that nothing
>  happened.  After all, wasn't the point of this cleanup to make sure that
>  come Monday morning that all went well?
>

>  Terry Herrin wrote:
>  >
>  > "Ronald Sposito" <raspo@slomins.com> wrote:
>  > >Yea, a little disheartening...
>  >
>  > It does look like we did the job a little too well.  The local
>  > newspaper had a page one story asking if the whole thing wasn't
>  > overblown, and too much money and effort spent on it.  That's thanks
>  > for you.

I could have absolutely _CHOKED_ the local news people today.  "Did we spend
too much?", "Was the whole thing overblown?", "Was Y2K a big scam propagated
by IS personnel?"  Byte me.  IMNSHO, we needed the media to jar our
complacent pointy-haired bosses into action.  It worked.  Now the media are
going to complain that the efforts all of us made worked _TOO_ well?
Errrrrrrr!  At least Gartner on NBC "Nightly News" tonight credited us with
resolving a serious problem and having a "Cadillac instead of a Chevrolet"
base for new IS.  We're now "poised to overtake the world when it comes to
information systems."  Yeah, try and convince your boss...

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Children have more need of models than of critics." -- Carolyn Coats