  • Subject: Re: spool file
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:01:31 -0800

There actually is a setting for the size of spool files, but
on our system is it set for something like 2000 pages or
some other such huge amount.

When the spool size limit is reached a message is sent
to QSYSOPR asking to increment or cancel, just about
exactly the same way it is when you reach a physical
file size limit.

Also, if you cancel the job by answering 'C' to the QSYSOPR
message a joblog is produced.

I don't think this is your problem at all.

You state that the report is 3 pages long.  I am assuming you
see this number on the work with spool file screen.  Be aware,
also, that while a job is still running, such as a batch job, you can
view the spool file ones it gets past 2 pages or so and it will
be only partially complete.  In fact, sometimes I will do this and
type a 'b' to go to the bottom of the spool file, then just keep
hitting enter to see the spool file as it is being produced.

Make sure the job that is creating the spool file has completed.

Other than that, I would have to say your job is not creating
the whole spool file for some reason, perhaps it is ending
unexpectedly through faulty program logic or faulty data.

That "start on page' *1 is the page number the spool file
will start printing on.  Leaving them at their defaults of *1 and
*end for 'last page' will print out the entire spool file, but has
absolutely nothing to do with the actual size of the spool file.
That is, you could set it to 1 and 3 and just print out the first
3 pages, and if you don't specify save *yes the spool file will
be deleted after it is done with the rest of the pages being lost.

Regards,

Jim Langston