  • Subject: New AS/400 Update - TCP/IP Problems
  • From: "Gallagher, Debbie (CA - Toronto)" <dgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:21:37 -0500

Okay, so far I managed to stumble through the instructions for installing
the AS/400 (720 running V4R3). However, I am now stuck on getting the AS/400
and a PC to talk to one another. This is a prerequisite for installing
Client Access on the PC. Apologies for the length of this email, but I am
hoping that there's enough info here to tell what I've missed.

I followed the instructions for the AS/400 part set up several steps ago . .
.here are my notes:

Create Line Description:
CRTLINETH (Create Line Description - Ethernet)
Press Enter.
LIND               LANLINE
RSRCNAME   CMN03
LINESPEED   100M
TEXT              Line for Ethernet to LAN
Press Enter

Give AS/400 an IP address:
Network IP Address 10.0.0.7
Line desc   LANLINE
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Define local domain name and host name:
HOSTNAME AS400IBM
DMNNAME  FORMULA1

Build a local host table:
INTNETADR  10.0.0.7
HOSTNAME  AS400IBM
HOSTNAME        AS400IBM.FORMULA1

Start TCP/IP:
GO TCPADM  Press Enter
On the TCP/IP Admin menu select option 3.
Press Enter.
On the display that asks whether you want to vary on all TCP/IP devices,
press Enter.

Now, on the PC/Lan part, here's my notes so far:

Got my user id set up on the LAN:
dgallagher

Protocol:
Start Menu/Settings/Control Panel.
Double click Network. Select Protocols tab.
Verify that the protocol is TCP/IP.

Hosts File Entry:
FORMUA1 network does not use DNS (Domain Name Server), so need to create an
entry in the Hosts file
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts
Added line 10.0.0.7   AS400IBM.FORMULA1

Make sure AS/400 part is running:
GO TCPADM  Press Enter
On the TCP/IP Admin menu select option 3.
Press Enter.
On the display that asks whether you want to vary on all TCP/IP devices,
press Enter.

Back to PC:
Welcome CD says the next step on the PC is to Right click on the desktop,
and select New, then select AS/400.
However, after I select New, AS400 is not one of the available selections.

Check Client Access Manual. Decide to try PING.
On PC, tried PING 10.0.0.7
Request timed out
Tried PING for another server on the network, 10.0.0.3, and it worked fine.

Questions:
How does the Lan expect to know the AS/400 is there? There were no
instructions for me to ask the Network Administrator to do anything.
How come when I added the entry to the Hosts file, there weren't entries
there for other servers (like the 10.0.0.3) but I had to add one for the
AS/400?
What do I do now? How many things have I missed doing here?

Thanks so much for any assistance. . .

Debbie Gallagher
dgallagher@deloitte.ca