> WARNING!!!
>
> I wrote a test program to call this program and it doesn't
> reliably give sequential day-of-week values.

It took some doing, but I found the original story on this routine
in the 10/88 copy of Midrange Computing magazine...

According to the author, this routine works from 3/1/1900 through
2/28/2100....

He also stated that the day of the week would be 0=Wednesday,1=Thursday,
etc,etc... I would assume that you would have to KNOW what day of the
week the routine "starts" on to be able to use the routine accurately...
(he used 3/1/1900 as his beginning day)

I agree that RPGIV is a much better solution...

No, there is no editing for invalid dates... you have to supply that...

I have used this routine and several other screw ball routines long
before
the advent of RPGIV and they all worked...

This was not offered as the ultimate date routine, just another routine
that "could" be used...

I have to confess that I never tested beyond 2099 or 1900 so maybe
you are on to somthing....

This entire routine is based on some sort obscure math formula......