  • Subject: Re: PTF's and Cum tapes, etc.
  • From: Randy Mangham <randym69@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:05:09 -0800

Why the need? My experience with IBM support has always been that if you DO
experience a problem, you get very little help trying to track it down until you
tell the support rep that you have the latest PTF Cum tape installed. <g>
Another, perhaps better reason? Some PTF's fix performance problems you didn't
know you had or prevent potential data corruption (yeah, even the AS/400 has an
occasional problem with that) or even fix potential security problems you
weren't
aware of.

As for the installation sequence, follow the instructions. I assume there is a
good reason for them. In any case, the PTF installation process knows not to
overwrite newer PTF's with older ones (although they'll be installed and marked
as superseded just in case you ever need to remove a newer one that turns out
defective). The Hiper PTF's sometimes fix things that will affect installation
of
other PTF's. Every so often you'll see instructions to install one PTF off the
CD
or tape and IPL before trying to install the Cum package.

It may seem convoluted at times but the whole AS/400 PTF scheme is years ahead
of
anything in the PC or Unix world, for sure, though. It was one of the things
that
got AS/400 such high ratings in the last Computerworld survey on customer
satisfaction. At least application vendors on the AS/400 aren't overwriting
modules in QSYS to create some function the OS lacks only to have some other
application overwrite the same module with a different version!! (Unlike a
certain family of OS's from another company.)

Randy Mangham
Pacific Crest Consulting
San Diego, CA