  • Subject: Re: MPTN/Anynet... on V4R1
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:08:49 -0800

One possibility you might want to look at is Motorola.
Motorola is a lot cheaper than Cisco (dramatically so)
and they do SNA encapsulation in IP.  If price is a big
issue, I would get a few quotes for Motorola equipment
(6500 series programmable router at your main office,
small equipment in your remote sites.  I was looking at
3 remote sites and corporate headquarters, all hardware
for $5000 total.  Cisco 10k+, Micom 20k+)

If you really want to use Perle they have new equipment
that does SNA over frame relay.  I seem to recall they
were about the same in price as Cisco, but couldn't do as
much as the Motorola.  594e I think they are.

The one that does the most, imo, is the Motorola, because
you can do (with the same equipment) IP, SNA over IP,
voice over IP, IPX, Frame Relay, DSL, Dedicated, T1,
56k etc... Just about anything you can think of you can
configure the Motorola 6500 series to do (I was looking
specifically at the 6520, one of the "smaller" boxes).

Good luck.

Regards,

Jim Langston