  • Subject: RE: PPP dialup and IP numbers
  • From: Jerome Draper <jdraper@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:50:17 -0800

I think this will solve my problem (thanks Ray Peterson):

That's your problem.  The 192.168.1.x subnet is defined for your ethernet, and
cannot also be your ppp.  I'm assuming you have a subnet mask on the
ethernet of
255.255.255.0.

Somebody owns the 1.1.1.1 address, so you definitely shouldn't be using it.
 You
should just use one of the public address ranges - I  use the 172.20.x.x
subnet.
If you are using 255.255.255.0 as your subnet mask on the ethernet, then
you could
use 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2 on the ppp for example.   I know that the
following ranges are labeled as private by RFC 1918 and are available to you.

 10.0.0.0/8
 172.16.0.0/12
 192.168.0.0/16

Ray

At 05:33 PM 12/14/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>When you dial in and fail you'll have a job log under the name of the
>profile. Examine it and see where the failure is occurring. It's
>probably on adding a route. What sort of routing parms have you set
>anyway? If the connection appears to go active but you can't "see" the
>other end, check NETSTAT and see what routes and masks have been added
>that relate to this link - there should be just one with the IP address
>for the remote and a mask of *HOST (255.255.255.255). The IP address for
>the PC that you enter under DUN and what you enter for the remote IP
>address on the OPs Nav don't have to be the same. If you see the
>connection in the 400 netstat try ping the PC. This should tell us if
>the routing problem is from the 400 or the PC end.
>
>TrailBlazer Systems, Inc.
>http://www.as400ftp.com
>AS/400 Communications & E-Commerce Solutions
>
>Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done.

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, Nlynx, MI, Perle, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com