  • Subject: RE: Auditing Programmers
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:48:43 -0800

I hadn't given it much thought in the larger sense--thought of it as a
technical problem.  Seems like there are ways other than logging what people
do at their workstations to measure productivity or whatever you want to
call it.  Setting clearly defined goals, examining the quality of the
person's work, and making sure the person understands (or at least claims to
understand) the requirements could provide a foundation for either
improvement or whatever.

My brother is a lawyer (not me) who specializes in employment law and works
for a large company.  Part of his job (not the most pleasant) is advising
supervisors how to fire people.  From what I can tell, the secret is
documenting instances when standards aren't met and making sure that the
employee has had opportunities to understand that there is a problem and has
received clearly defined chances to improve the situation.

I don't envy you.