  • Subject: Re: Assigning ownership in Ops Nav
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 07:17:32 +1300

At 11:11 7/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Yes, were you not in the room when I mentioned this?
>
>Designed wrong.

>R. Bruce Hoffman, Jr.
>
>>Has anyone noticed that you cannot assign a group profile as the owner of
>an IFS
>>directory or object with OpsNav?  You can with WRKLNK (actually CHGOWN) on
>the
>>green screen.  Once you assign it there you can modify the permissions
>within
>>OpsNav, but Group Profiles are not available to be selected as owner.
>>
>>Is this an error or working as designed? (in which case it's designed wrong
>;-) )
>>
>>My OpsNav is Express V4R4 with current Fixpack on OS/400 V4R4.
>>
>> - Larry

Another question on this subject - how do you assign authority to the tree
? For example, I have an IFS directory /Stuff with subdirectories
/SomeStuff and /OtherStuff how do I *EASILY* change the object authority or
owner for all files and subdirectories under the /Stuff directory ?

So far the only way I've found is to do it one object at a time using
CHGAUT. or point, click, click, click, right click, type, click, etc etc
using Oops navigator (I loathe GUI's).

Green screen solution preferred, but Oops navigator method accepted !

I could *almost* live with this if I had to do it directory by directory
and the files in the directory got the correct authority/ownership.

Do I need to write a program to walk the tree and grant this
authority/change ownership link by link ?

I can understand IBM not wanting to automatically have subdirectories
inherit authority, but you'd think somewhere there would be a command that
gave you the option...

Cheers
Evan Harris