  • Subject: Re: Software Vendors
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 13:14:55 -0800

Actually, it has been every other program I have pointed it out
to.  This one in particular had come from a McDonnell Douglas
Pic system wring Pic Basic.  He also did Delphi (Pascal).  It was
his Pascal code I pointed this out to him in.

Why did he feel this way?  I don't know.  Maybe he felt he didn't
have the time to do it for his programs.  But I have always felt,
if you don't have the time to do something right, when are you
going to find the time to do it over?

Maybe it is because other programs are thinking in terms of
programs, and not in terms of data.  If a program crashes on a
user, big deal, right?  He can just restart it.  But what about the
data the program had already stick into my database that is now
bad?  And is going to cause other bad things to happen.

Perhaps it is because I started programming professionally in
dBase, very similar to DB2 in a lot of aspects, and I was very
aware that any bad data in my databases would cause other
very bad things to happen.

I really don't know.  I couldn't tell you why they feel that way
when I feel otherwise.  They just do.  Perhaps they learned
from the Billy Bob school of programming.

Regards,

Jim Langston