  • Subject: Re: Twinax and Balun's Wiring question
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:42:55 -0800

Yes.  With cat 5 wiring you should have no problem at all.
The only reason you would need a power panel is if you
would want to connect more than one unit to a twinax port.

Twinax looses some power over both distance and use.  You
could possibly daisy chain 2 or 3 units together without having
to use a power panel if the distances were relatively short, but
might have problems.  Any more than that and there would be
such a significant power loss though the line that you would find
strange things happening.  You would turn on one tube and
another would go down, or both would go down, etc...

With just one device at cat 5 at such a short distance you should
have no problem at all.

It really doesn't make too much difference how you wire it, direct
wire, though patch panel, though RJ45s, etc... as long as each
connection is clean and you have as few as possible.

Here we use CAT 3 wiring and don't have any trouble, although
we do use a power panel for all but our console.  We just find
it a lot easier to stick the console in the computer room and
wire it directly to port 0.  That way it is very easy to figure out
why it is down (the wire frayed at one point and I had to replace
the line cord).

Incidentally, if you wire everything up and cant' get it to work, try
reversing the wires somewhere.  Twisted pairs and baluns are
very very sensitive to reverse polarity, they just plain won't work.

What really makes it hard is that different manufactures of Baluns
have polarized their Baluns differently.  Took me a lot of head
scratching before I figured that one out.  Fix for it is to use a Balun
of the same manufacturer, or same polarity, or to just reverse
the wires.

Regards,

Jim Langston