  • Subject: Re: Overiding Screen Output in a CL Program
  • From: "Dan Bale" <dbale@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:24:17 -0500

Colin,

Actually, DSPPFM was probably a bad example to use ;-)  You wouldn't really want
to "capture" the output of a DSPPFM, would you?  In most cases, where IBM
doesn't give you an option for output, there's usually a pretty good reason for
it.  After all, if you didn't want to just view the DSPPFM output on the screen,
then RUNQRY *n FILENAME to print it, or CPYF to copy it.

If you're asking if there's a way to "get inside" of a command like DSPPFM and
change the output device or otherwise intercept the output, I don't believe
you've got a prayer.  There are probably some commands out there that don't give
you options for output but IBM has supplied an API that supplies the same info.

Don't know if you were really leaning towards this, but there are a lot of IBM
commands that do give you the output option of display, print, or outfile.  But
I've had requirements for RTV-type commands because of the one-file limit in CL.
For example, I've created a RTVFA (ReTrieVe File Attributes) that basically is a
DSPFD TYPE(*BASATR).

HTH,
- Dan Bale

"Chapman, Colin" <Colin.Chapman@lloydsudt.co.uk> wrote:

Boris, the reason I gave the example DSPPFM FILE(QGPL/QCLSRC) was that it
doesn't have any output options. I have used CMD's before which create
prints or create output files and can incorporate this no problem in CL
pgm's.
I was just wondering whether it was possible to get info that normally went
to the screen but doesn't have any output options and incorporate that into
a CL pgm.

I don't want to do anything specific - it was just a general query.

Thanks,

Colin