  • Subject: Re: Software Vendors
  • From: Patrick Townsend <townsend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:59:16 -0800

Buck,

You are right, of course. I assumed that everyone agreed on what a "bug"
is. That's not always the case. For us it is usually pretty clear what
is a program failure and what is an enhancement to the panel flow or
business logic. But in complex business applications there can be some
cross-over between expectations on how software *should* work with
errors in how it actually works. I suppose it can get messy to sort that
out. For us its not much of an issue. Whenever we encounter customers
who want enhancements in our product we tend to treat that as an
opportunity to make the product better.

I do think software vendors can be clear about their policy for
providing fixes for errors in software. Ours is: we fix any errors
during the trial period free of charge (like, what else would you
expect?). If there is a cost in shipping the fix to the customer we pay
for it. All of our software is covered for bug fixes and planned
releases for 90 days after purchase free of charge. After 90 days you
need to be on our maintenance agreement to get new releases and
immediate bug fixes.

There was a time when most software included free support for the life
of the product (back in the good ol' days). With the unbundling of
services, software and support, it became almost universal for vendors
to charge a separate contract for maintenance. User's demanded it - they
wanted to know what it cost and wanted the freedom to take it or leave
it. Most of our customers take it. But some don't. That's OK. Over time
a lot of the folks who don't initially take maintenance pick it up
later. They like to get the enhancements when they come out.

It looks like the new model will be "software subscription". I think
Microsoft and IBM are both pushing this. I don't like it very much
myself, but we probably won't get much choice, eh?

Patrick

--
IBM AS/400 communications, FTP automation, and network security
software and consulting services.

http://www.patownsend.com