  • Subject: New AS/400 - Now What?
  • From: "Gallagher, Debbie" <dgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:24:00 -0500

We just got an AS/400, a 720, with V4R3. I have worked on AS/400 before, but
never at this stage of the game (set up). IBM has been here and hooked up
all
the cables in the back, plugged it in and did a couple of IPLs. Showed us
where
the various parts are - e.g. tape drive, cd, plugs etc.

Now we're on our own and not sure what to do next. We have a couple of CDs
in an
envelope that are apparently PTFs - I don't know if they have been installed
on
the system or not. There was a sheet of paper in a box, called Shipment
Summary.
It listed things like DB2 QRY and Query/400. So, I signed on and tried a
couple
of commands like WRKQRY and STRSQL. Not found in *libl. So, then I tried
WRKOBJ,
looking for command WRKQRY and found it it in libraries QSYSV3R2M0,
QSYSV3R7M0,
QSYSV4R1M0, QSYSV4R2M0. Notice not found in QSYS. There are pink/black
folders
that refers to keys - is this a reference to what IBM has already done in
the
factory or something I need to do?

Anyone give me tips on what's first, second, thing to do here? For example,
is
there something I need to do to start up all these licensed programs? How
about
the PTFs? Do them first? Or is there a manual that I've overlooked on what
steps
to take in what order?

I've been looking through the Getting Your AS/400 Working For You book, but
still not sure where to start.
Grateful for all tips.

Debbie Gallagher
dgallagher@deloitte.ca