  • Subject: Re: using XML to build web pages
  • From: "Joe Teff" <jteff19@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 07:48:38 -0600

I have considered all of that, plus the capability to define multiple
stylesheets
so the customer can choose the style they want to view it in. All nice
things.
What I fail to see is a way to make it happen. I can see how to do it if I
create the XML and store it along with the DFD and XSL. This means that
I can use JavaScript to merge the XML, XSL and DFD on the browser. What
I haven't figured out how to do is create the XML dynamically with CGI
programs
(or Net.Data) and still use JavaScript to merge it with the appropriate DFD
and XSL at the browser. Even if I could do that at the server, they would
loose
any benefit of receiving XML at the browser to plug into their application
of
choice. I am hoping that the next versions IE and Netscape have the XSL
processor built in. I doubt that will happen (or that they are compatible)
since
there is no XSL standard at the moment.

Joe Teff