  • Subject: Re: AS400 Query - Passing info from CL program?
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 9:01:07 -0500

You've received many good responses on this.  Including:
1)  Using a temporary file to hold the parameters and joining to that.  Done
that.
2)  Convert from Query to the Query Manager portion of SQL.  Done that, wrote
an article in News/400 on it.
3)  How to use date manipulations, if dates are your concern.  Done that.
4)  Use free SQL tools to do the task.  Done it, even at times on machines with
SQL.  (Easier to imbed in CL).
5)  Look at third party products.  Not interested.

First of all, I am impressed by the many different angles that everyone took.
Bravo!

Query is easy.  We let our users use it and they like it.  It's their data and
their machine.
There are governor tools for the paranoid.

Query Manager is an acceptable replacement.  You can use this in two formats.
Like Query, or
like SQL.  Your choice.  The main advantage that Query has over Query Manager
is the ability to
feed directly into OV/400.  However IBM detests an integrated solution that is
not sold by
Microsoft so they are abandoning OV/400 after the release after V4R4.  Query
has been declared
'stable'.  All new development is going into Query Manager.  Honestly,  Query
has taught me
some things about SQL, (see RTVQMQRY).  Now that I feel pretty sharp about SQL
then I see some
limitations in Query.  Passing parameters into Query Manager is a piece of cake.

There is a lot of security in Query Manager.  You can restrict which statements
the users are allowed access
to.

Forwiw@aol.com on 11/20/99 07:30:05 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet