  • Subject: Re: Programmers VS Consultants
  • From: "Joe Teff" <jteff19@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 10:29:54 -0600

> HOW DOES A CONSULTANT MAKE MONEY? ANSWER. BILLING YOU FOR HOURS WORKED.
>
> *NOTE. UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMEONE TO OVERSEE THE CONSULTANT. YOU WILL GET A
> SHORT TERM SOLUTION(I.E. A PRGRAM OR SYSTEM THAT WILL REQUIRE THE
CONSULTANT
> AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, SO THE PROGRAM OR SYTEM IS DESIGNED TO BE OUTDATED
FROM
> DAY OF IMPLEMENTATION).

You've defined a contractor, NOT a consultant. Just because one calls
themself a consultant, does not
make them one. I believe a good consultant cares about your business and
tries to give you the best
they have to offer. I'm not trying to say money isn't important, but it is
not the most important thing. My
biggest reward is taking a problem, inventing a solution and then seeing how
pleased the users are
when that solution meets or surpasses their expectations. Money can't give
you that same sense of
accomplishment.

Joe Teff