  • Subject: RE: CGI Fact Finding Mission (Need Input)
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:55:56 -0600

In a rare instance where checking is not performed, it could cause the job
to have a MSGW status.  But it would not crash your system.  Not to mention,
it would only stop (until someone fixed the problem) one instance that is
running, so others would still be able to surf your site.

I could see how ASP would be easy to "crash a system", but not with RPG.
First, you read the Standard input and or Query string input.  Then you
convert it to a DB.  That API will either error or complete or issue warning
messgages, so I'm not even sure one could force a server instance into MSGW
by sending bad data into the data stream.  If one was monitering the result
codes for the HTTP APIs, a simple message could be displayed.

Remember, the article you read no doubt deals with PCs.  Much easier to
hack/crash.

Bradley V. Stone
BVS/Tools
http://www.bvstools.com