  • Subject: Re: SQL server and the AS/400
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:12:14 -0500

Wayne--

Forget ODBC for the VB-to-AS/400 connection and use OLE DB! Like ODBC, it
comes with CA/400 (the part that doesn't need licensed) and makes a good
realtime pipeline between your VB app and the AS/400. See
www.as400.ibm.com/clientaccess/oledb for more details.

OLE DB also makes a great real-time connection between Excel, Access and
others to the AS/400. OLE DB is a woefully overlooked resource! It's not the
most bulletproof, scalable option, but when it fits well, it makes a great
solution.

rp