  • Subject: Re: SQL Cursor Questions
  • From: Pete Hall <pbhall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 21:05:25 -0600

At 21:06 11/17/1999 , Nelson C. Smith wrote:
>interactively, it uses the access path of the logical.  The only difference
>is the cursor is not used in the interactive version.  Is this normal
>operation for cursors or am I doing something wrong?

If you don't specify ORDER BY, SQL will retrieve the data in whatever it
perceives to be the cheapest way. Interactively, if I have this straight
now, it will go for fastest display of the initial screen of data. In batch
it will try for fastest completion of job. It sometimes makes some pretty
arbitrary decisions, but that's the general idea.

>What I really want to do is set the cursor to a
>particular record, but then be able to fetch records without regard to any
>where clause.  In other words, I want to do a SETLL with a key, and then
>READ or READP without a key.  Is there any way to do this? (besides using
>RPG, of course ;-)

Welllll, you could probably do a select and retrieve the relative record
number (RRN()) where you want to start, then use FETCH RELATIVE to position
your cursor. From there you could read in either direction with FETCH
PRIOR/NEXT. Pretty cool stuff SQL, but it's really oriented to record sets,
not traditional file I/O.
Pete Hall
pbhall@execpc.com
http://www.execpc.com/~pbhall