  • Subject: RE: Am I missing something? Can an AS/400 act as a network server right now?
  • From: "Martin, Booth" <BoothM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:29:42 -0500

Outlook on the desktop can deal with POP3 and other internet services.

So far as using Outlook for Groupware... well there's always the people that
invented groupware, Lotus. The nice thing about Lotus is it is truly
cross-platform including Windows, Mac, OS/2, and Linux.

Originally my thoughts weren't of replacing exisiting installations.  What I
was thinking of is the shop that doesn't yet have a LAN but likes their
older mid-range setup and already happily runs their business on a
mid-range.  For them, buying a new AS/400 box brings them a lot of candy
they would never otherwise consider.  Those sorts of shops have no real use
for file sharing  -  they've been file sharing the important data for years
and years already.  But they now have dial-in and dial-out with a little
RAS, they have e-mail, an intranet, a link to the internet, and a web
server, all for under a $1,000 installed and running.  There has to be some
appeal for that.