-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Christina Beneteau [mailto:CBeneteau@intermatic.com]
Gesendet am: Dienstag, 02. November 1999 19:56
An: 'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'
Betreff: AS400 allowing 24 hour availability

Christy

        We are in the process of determining the best way to accomplish
24 hour access to our AS400.  Currently access is denied for about 4
hours a night.  This is due to system backup and nightly processing jobs
such as billing.  At month end we have about 12 hours of down time for
the users.  While some of the restriction of access is due to nightly
back up over half of the time is because of our ERP solution, BPCS.

        I have been looking into how we could mirror the database.  Once
mirrored then unlink them so that backup and nightly processing could be
ran over the mirrored database.  Data changes would continue in the
original database.  After the backup and nightly processing then these
databases would need to be brought back into sync.  There would be
changes in both databases, is there such a thing as two way mirroring?
Has anyone done this?  I have been told that in order for us to change
the database that the application is running over that we would need to
use ASPs.  I have had a hard time finding people that have actually done
this.  Any possible solution that I have seen approaches it either from
the software or hardware side but not using a combined approach.  I
appreciate any comments anyone has on this.  Thanks.

        Christy Beneteau
        Intermatic
david@midrange.com