  • Subject: Re: CHGTELNA
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:29:14 -0500

Jeffrey Stevens wrote:
> The worst case would be a connection hanging around for 1/2 hour.  I've never
> heard of a lost connection hanging around for "hours and hours", but if this
>is
> truly the case, I would suspect a problem in the Dialup area, perhaps a 3rd
> party relay or outboard that is "mimic"ing the client.  In such cases, these
> outboards fool the Telnet Server into thinking a client is still connected,
>when
> in reality the client is no longer connected to the Dialup.  However, the
>Dialup
> still has a TCP/IP stack connection to the Server and is responding to
>Timemark
> queries from the Server.

  We definately had 'em hanging around for a long time.  With the kind of volumn
that was on that poor 310 we were lucky the sessions ever went away.  It was
definately not the dialup boxes (Shiva Remote Access Switches).  We actually
wrote a program that did a Ping to the user's IP address every minute and if
there was no response, then we did ENDJOB *IMMED to clear 'em out.  Only problem
was that if the user was printing a large report the PING failed because Win9x
can't multitask. This caused friendly kills.

  In the end though, a half hour would have been about 29 minutes too long
anyway.  The users are on the help desk as soon as they can't sign back on.

  - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis         | What do You want to Reload today?
Arbor Solutions, Inc  | Don't throw your PC out the window,