  • Subject: RE: DISKTASKS (was Rhyme or Reason)
  • From: "Gallagher, Debbie" <dgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:14:00 -0500

Jim:

First of all, I gotta tell you, this problem of yours has me watching with
fascination. I can hardly wait to find out what the problem is.

I haven't a clue whether your problem could be object damage, but the
suggestion
seems as reasonable as any other you've received. So, you can check for
object
damage by looking at the object description (DSPOBJD) or at the DISKTASKS
file.
Most of the time they agree on whether an object is damaged. Occasionally
they
do not agree, and I have no idea why.  I haven't really seen enough damaged
objects in my career to have a clue about why the two would be different.

Okay, so what is DISKTASKS? On command line, type GO DISKTASKS. The first
menu
option (I think, I'm not at an AS/400) is to Collect Disk Information. You
take
this menu option to submit a job that collects disk info and puts it into a
file
QAEZDISK in library QUSRSYS.

Then, when it's finished (anywhere from a few to many hours, depending on
your
system), you select the other menu option Print Disk Information, which will
give you a report based on the file QAEZDISK. You can also query the file
QAEZDISK. One of the interesting differences compared to DSPOBJD is that the
DISKTASKS job will also show disk info on Shared Folders. There are other
differences, which I can send you. They are in an article I wrote for
TUG/400,
the newsmagazine of the Toronto Users Group.

Regards,
Debbie Gallagher
dgallagher@deloitte.ca