  • Subject: Re: stuck on slow cisc box ... options?
  • From: Randy Mangham <randym69@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:37:45 -0800

Bob,

If budget is the primary concern, at one time, IBM Credit was offering a
financing option that postponed payments for up to six months. (I don't remember
if that applied only to new customers or covered upgrades.) I know budget isn't
your only issue here since you mentioned other projects that need your attention
(and a CISC to RISC migration while pretty straightforward isn't a trivial
exercise as far as your time is concerned). I'd just hate to see you put money
into something that you'll discard in a matter of months although used CISC
equipment is pretty darn cheap.

Given that IBM is nearly desperate to sell equipment this quarter, it might pay
to see if you can negotiate not only a great deal on a hardware upgrade as well
as on a contract to do the migration planning for you.

None of this might be appropriate for you but it's a thought.

Randy Mangham
Pacific Crest Consulting
San Diego, CA