  • Subject: RE: Why MI? (Was: MI programmers list? Interested?)
  • From: Alan Campin <Alan.Campin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:46:45 -0700

Depends on how the code is written. There are certain functions in service
programs that perform a specific function that might be better written in
"C". Any use of "C" should be very localized and encapsulated as a function
in a service program and generally I think that a lot of service programs
are not low level programmer maintained. The model I use is of the builder
and consumer.

You have a few builders who build the tools and a great many consumers who
use them. If built properly, the consumers should not need to know anything
about how the function is coded or what language it is written in. It should
transparent.

That is exactly what ILE development and service programs offer and who says
you have to build them yourself. As AS/400 programmers become more tools
oriented, we may begin to see function libraries like the rest of the world
uses. I know people are working on developing web sites with standard
functions available. The thing that is holding everything back is the slow
adoption of ILE RPG and the continued use of the RPG III programming model
even within RPG IV or ILE RPG programs.

My opinions only. Thanks.