  • Subject: RE: Why MI? (Was: MI programmers list? Interested?)
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:50:10 -0500

Are you asking for a user based license of the 'C' compiler?  That would
be much harder for IBM to enforce.  For example if I string all my C compiles
through a single string job queue then wouldn't it always just use one
license, regardless of the number of people who submitted compiles?

Now, let's do some different math.  Let's just count AS/400's with a
development staff.  From this pool what would the average number of developers
be?  Multiply that by a user fee.  Then we could figure out a good charge for
C.  For example let's say that the average P30 tier, that has developers, has
4 developers then 4 * $200 would equal $800 for the compiler.  Would that be
fairer?  How would you calculate the average number of developers, per tier,
on just shops that have developers?

Then again, would any of this matter?  IBM marketing may say that a lower price
would not necessarily generate that many more sales.  Therefore a lower price
would not necessarily increase sales thus profits.  It could deteoriate
profits.
Cost is not the reason we are not using C.  We aren't using it because the lack
of it hasn't held us back.  Sort of like the Netstation philosophy.  If we had
to support C we should have more than one person on staff to do so.

Alan.Campin@CaseLogic.com on 11/09/99 02:31:39 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet