  • Subject: RE: Why MI? (Was: MI programmers list? Interested?)
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:10:56 -0500

Colin,
I would agree that few listers have a C compiler. I think Hans' point is
that if your business requires extensive bit twiddling, your shop should go
out and buy a C compiler instead of using MI.  Our problem in the Midrange
world is that we are almost exclusively "single language" shops - no history
of using multiple languages to code an application.  It's an uphill battle
to justify a C compiler because we've twisted RPG's arm to do a lot of
things other folks would have done in another language.  RPG just seems able
to "do it all."

So, those of us who want to tinker may not be able to convince the powers
that be to shell out the cash for a C compiler for us to play with.  That's
where the free MI compiler wins out.

Buck Calabro
Aptis; Albany, NY