I like the page-at-a-time subfiles;  those were the first that I used.

But when I started writing Visual Age RPG applications I  came to realize
that a very large fraction of the files in everyday use are 2,500 records
or less.  Even many of the larger files have logicals over them that make
the file of actual interest under 2,500 records.   With today's AS/400s
these load 100% in 5 or 6 seconds.  Add in the speed of the scroll bar and
page-at-a-time no longer makes sense.   With page-at-a-time subfiles I
watch users laboriously type in the whole name on the look-up field over
and over.  I suggest they just type the first 5 letters or so, but as soon
as I look away they carefully type "Johnson, Dr.  Jonathon R."  and then
hit the enter key.

Compare that to the a 100% subfile where the user scrolls to the name and
clicks and then the default action screen pops opens.  Never key a key,
never hit Enter, never touch a function key, at least not on the header
screen; just on the default action screen.  Fast, easy, and accurate, even
on the factory floor.

That is my opinion fwiw.

Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Sent by:        owner-midrange-l@midrange.com