  • Subject: Re: Security Admin package for multi level security
  • From: John Hall <jhall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 18:30:13 -0500

"Graap, Ken" wrote:

>  John -
>
> Printers and other devices are just objects on the system and subject to the
> same security policies that any other objects is.
>
> A printer could be created with *PUBLIC *EXCLUDE and then only the authority
> required... QSPL *CHANGE and TOP_SECRET_USER *CHANGE

No that's an oversimplification of the security.  The security of a
printer is in relationship to the document and not the user.  This
applies to display's as well.  It is not whether a top secret user can
access a printer or not.  The question is the security level of printer
vs the security level of the information.  A "Top Secret" user could
access "secret" info and send it to a "secret" printer just not the
other way around.  Also a secret user could send information to a top
secret device.  They would not be able to see the report produced
because they would be denied physical access to that area.