  • Subject: Re: To have or have not a PC at home
  • From: John Taylor <John.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 11:44:16 -0000

I understand all the reasons previously listed why people want or need a PC
at home. Live and let live I say. My own requirements are, occasionally I
need remote access - I take a laptop home, I like playing games - I flash up
the playstation. The on-line world is still way off in the area I live in,
no ordering and delivery service yet.

However I have two kids who are beginning to learn aspects of computing, at
present this is the only reason I would consider a PC at home.

As far as mass PC usage, I still consider computing too technical for the
general public. We are all involved in the field and have no problems
understanding blue screens, no carrier, scandisk etc. but your average John
Doe (not bad for a Yorkshireman eh) can too easily fowl up his PC by messing
with settings, deleting files by accident and the like.

When are we going to see some home computer kit, readily affordable, that is
reliable and is not just a mail system / web browser / games machine but
manages your living environment (lighting heating etc.)

Anyway, enough of my waffle - my next post will be 400 related I promise.

John Taylor
Yorkshire
My uncle just moved back from Canada