  • Subject: Re: NetServer: Accessing files with unmatched passwords
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:00:59 -0500

> We have V4R3 OS/400, V4R4 Client Access Express and Windows 98 installed.
> When the password on the AS/400 does not match windows, I receive a Enter
> Network Password window  (You must supply a password to make this
> connection) with a password prompt.  After entering my AS/400 password, I
> receive the password is incorrect (please try again) window.  If the two
> passwords match, I connect successfully.  According to all the
documentation
> I have researched, the userids must match for Windows 98 but not
necessarily
> the passwords.  Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee all users have the same
> passwords on both systems.

Diana--

You've correctly described the situation for Win98.

For Win9x, the user IDs must match, but the passwords don't. If the user IDs
don't match, you won't get in. If the passwords don't match, you can't avoid
the password prompt.

For WinNT, both the user IDs and passwords can vary. NT prompts for both
passwords and user IDs.

There is an escape hatch with NetServer's guest profile, but using that
pretty much relegates security useless. The

www.as400.ibm.com/netserver explains this all pretty clearly.

Note too that there is a (very) new NetServer redpiece at
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/sg245196.html.

rp