  • Subject: Re:Spool files to HTML?
  • From: Eric Sundell PMI <ESundell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:52:00 -0800

Client Access file transfer has this ability do a down load and specify
HTML,
als here's another option, this is from our friend Brian Singleton:

CONVERTING SPOOL FILES TO HTML DOCUMENTS
Q. How do I convert a spool file containing a report into an HTML
document that can be viewed in a Web browser?

A. It depends on how fancy you want it to look. If you want to control
exactly the way it looks in the Web browser, the easiest way is to
output the HTML into the spool file itself as the report is created.
If you simply want to be able to view the spool file in a browser
window, you can include a few HTML tags that make it a valid HTML
document and instruct the browser to display the file in a fixed-width
font. I've created a little CL program that automatically converts a
spool file that you identify into an HTML document and copies it into
your AS/400 Web directory.

The first thing the utility does is create a work file in QTEMP. The
next step is to copy some HTML tags to that file to begin a valid HTML
document. These tags are

The next step is to add the text of the spool file to the work file
with the CPYSPLF command. Then, the ending HTML tags are added to the
end of the work file:

After that, the work file is ready to be copied to your Web server.
You will find instructions and source code for the CL program at
http://www.tnt400.com/bo400ng/AS400Q0162.htm