  • Subject: RE: AS400 allowing 24 hour availability
  • From: Chris Bipes <rpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:53:49 -0800

We perform two way mirroring between three systems here.  All three system
can add/update/delete records from our transaction file.  Two of the systems
never, well hardly ever, get backed up or IPL'd.  They perform most of the
transaction processing.  We have been doing this for many years.  It is not
an easy task.  We are currently performing this at an application level for
one file, and a newly written trigger event on a second file.  The trigger
one is my recommended way of approaching this.

Basically the trigger program looks at the firing program and if not the
mirror poster, writes a record to a trigger results file that has the
trigger input data structure, (before and after image...).  Now a trigger
poster reads this result file and send the data to each of the remote
systems via ICF.  Then receiving end of the ICF can update the actual file
on the remote system, thus pulling the trigger on that system.  You must
make sure that the trigger program ignores the actions from the receiving
ICF program or you will get an endless loop going.

The hard part is having the sending ICF program process the trigger results
program and wait for a new record to be written.  We are still working out
the processing of the result file trying to eliminate the need to compress
deleted records and still sit at EOF Wait.  Re-Use deleted record, Force
write = 1 and wait record *nomax just does not like to work the way we want
it to.  We have a complex work around using data queues, data areas and
timestamp but I do not like the way it is working.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Christopher K. Bipes     mailto:ChrisB@Cross-Check.com
Sr. Programmer/Analyst   mailto:Chris_Bipes@Yahoo.com
CrossCheck, Inc.         http://www.cross-check.com
6119 State Farm Drive    Phone: 707 586-0551 x 1102
Rohnert Park CA  94928 Fax: 707 586-1884

*Note to Recruiters
Neither I, nor anyone that I know of, is interested in any new and/or
exciting positions. Please do not contact me.