This individual is taking on the EDI aspect of our business and doesn't need
programming at the moment, but does need basic operations training.

You might look at some of the Computer Based training instead, then at least you
have something other new hires in your department can use in the future too.
Just remember to consider them as unavailable as if they did travel to training.