  • Subject: Re: Who's going to call Hesheys?
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 16:27:40 EST

Wynn,

In a message dated 10/31/99 1:06:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, wynn@praxis.net
writes:

> I am absolutely amazed that after 50+ years of computing, how nasty and
>  failure-prone these big software projects are.
<<snip>>

RANT MODE(*ON)

I absolutely agree.  I even made the comment at work last week that "after 50
years of trying to get a decent operating system, we are now trying to
pretend that we don't have one".  ERRRRRRR!  All in the name of "openness".
Said "openness" _STILL_ cannot be directly translated between machines
without a "virtual machine" running.  In the old days, we used to call this
"emulation".  "Virtual" just sounds so much more "open", doesn't it?  I look
at it as you "virtually" have a business system.

Yes, C++ and its' ilk have their place -- that place is coding system level
tasks and operating systems themselves, _NOT_ business applications.  The
reason that programming moved beyond Assembler in the first place was to
allow more persons to code business applications without bringing the machine
down when you made a mistake!  JAVA shows promise but, unless the government
mandates it at some point (which I _STRONGLY_ oppose), a truly "open" system
will _NEVER_ be created.  I would use the (overused) automobile analogy to
refute open systems -- if everyone needed the same car, why are there
subcompacts, compacts, coupes, sedans, luxury, trucks, and SUV's?  Same with
computers.  Choose one for what you need, don't try to fit your needs into
the cheapest thing available.

In the Hershey case, project management wouldn't have helped.  They probably
had _EXCELLENT_ project management.  Excellent project management that
Hershey _CORPORATE_ management refused to listen to when they told them that
the deadline wasn't going to be met.  SAP AG, a German ERP vendor, is trying
to be "all things to all people", just like "open software" -- they're
failing miserably, especially in the retail sector.  They now run on multiple
platforms, most of them poorly except for the mainframe for which the
programs were originally written.  Two things need to happen in this world
before IT fulfills its' promise:

1.  Realize that "open" systems aren't going to happen, so get over it.
2.  Quit penalizing IT personnel that give bad news, and respect their
evaluations.  The latter will save you money in the long run.

RANT MODE(*OFF)

I feel _MUCH_ better now :)...

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Experience is the name everybody gives mistakes." -- Elbert Hubbard